[time-nuts] ADEV query Timelab and TICC

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Sun Mar 19 23:30:39 EDT 2017

These look a lot like the 25ns pops I was getting when I first started generating the 1PPS output from the PIC.  In my case, the PIC uses a PLL to multiply the external clock from 10MHz to 80MHz, which is then  divided to 40MHz and used as an instruction clock.  This gave an occasional early or late pulse, which was off by 25ns.  I wound up fixing my problem by arranging it so that the timer used to generate the 1PPS was offset by 2 instructions  (so that the timer fired between two successive 100ns pulses from the OCXO) and then gating the generated pulse with the OCXO so that the OCXO was the thing generating the actual 1PPS output.  Of course, this could be something entirely different:  For example, the quantization error on the 1PPS from the GPSDO as Tom mentions.  But, in that case, it seems like there should be a lot more of them.
Bob