[time-nuts] Fwd: HP10811 Oscillator Thermal Fuse

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed May 10 18:26:27 EDT 2017

 Hi

Unless you believe that HP’s quality was poor, the experience of the rest of the OCXO
business is likely relevant. In `~50 years of designing OCXO’s the only one I have ever
seen are the HP units. Nobody else does that. Based on return rates, the number of
“runaway ovens” is negligible over a 30 year period. The is related to safety (full time
power on). As it worked out, the fuse did not help them in that respect. The Fed’s still
ruled the gear had to be shut off at night.

Bob