[time-nuts] Machining some aluminum help!

Dave Daniel kc0wjn at gmail.com
Thu May 18 13:15:22 EDT 2017

This is fairly easy to do on a vertical mill, but it can be done using a
drill press.

I would machine and drill the end plates first. Then I would use
hot-glue or double-sided tape to attach one of the end plates to the
tube ends and use the end plate as a drilling guide to drill and tap the
holes in the tube. The critical aspect of drilling the tube holes is
that the end of the tube that is being drilled has to be absolutely
perpendicular to the drill bit.

The drill press can also be used to tap the holes - with the drill press
power off, install the tap and hand turn the spindle while using the
lever arm to gently follow the tap in as it cuts. Since it is aluminum,
hand-tapping the holes without using the drill press should be fairly
easy also.

DaveD