[time-nuts] Next Aug 21 eclipse and time flow

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon May 29 03:56:29 EDT 2017

--------
In message <CAGP4rdnJXgFWgQuBokFdUgeC90-DP2A2cNSdwypx8vS_bTBFhg at mail.gmail.com>
, Michael Wouters writes:

>The effect you're looking for depends on a comparison of two different
>kinds of atomic clocks eg Cs vs H-maser so the maser comparison presumably
>will be a null measurement.

It would have to be between clocks where the clock-atoms have very
different masses (for instance Cs vs. H) but it would *also* have to
be clocks where the clock-photons have very different energy.

So the best setup would be H-maser Cs or Rb foundtain and an trapped
ion optical clock.

Since any physicists at NIST will be keenly aware of the Nobel
Prize dangling in front of any competently measured effect, I think
we can trust them to be on the ball :-)