[time-nuts] Next Aug 21 eclipse and time flow --> WWV carrier phase

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon May 29 11:00:23 EDT 2017

Bob, unlike the guys who have many watts of 10MHz running around their labs
via multiple distribution amplifiers, I do not have a big problem with my
dinky 10MHz reference leaking into my radio antenna :-).

This fall the "best band" for WWV for me during daylight eclipse would be
15MHz. 10MHz would have a usable but weaker signal mid-day too.

I was thinking I could synthesize a clean 14.99MHz from my 10MHz, put that
into a mixer along with WWV at 15MHz, and send the 10kHz beat note into one
channel of a PC sound card. The other channel of the sound card could
monitor the Z3801A's 1PPS square wave output, or maybe just the square wave
from dividing 10MHz down to audio frequency square wave. That would allow
me to post-process out any variation in sound card clock.

I should read up on what the FMT guys do. They must do something like this.
I work Connie K5CM almost every week anyway but we are just exchanging
serial numbers, not talking about FMT techniques :-).

Tim N3QE