[time-nuts] inexpensive, black box, GPS or NTP based TTL time capture?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 18 20:27:30 EDT 2017

On 10/18/17 4:17 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
> jimlux at earthlink.net said:
>> This is one of the reasons I use beaglebone greens - soldered in eMMC so  no
>> need for SD card ...
> The advantage of the SD card is that you can easily start over when your
> "disk" gets trashed.
> "Easy" of course is dependent on your opinion and talents.  I think you can
> boot a BeagleBone from SD by holding down a button and put things back
> together from there.  So no wires or extra hardware required, but you have to
> research a new layer of HOWTOs.

precisely so - hold the button and power up.

You can set up so that the contents on the SD just boot, or rewrite the
flash (10-15 mins).
I imagine that there's a way to "constantly" press the button with a
jumper, too.

Building that SD card image is a bit more complex than it needs to be.
You can download the image trivially, but modern consumer OS'es
basically don't make it easy to directly write to a device, and what
you're basically doing is burning a image to the SD card.

OTOH, the instructions ARE on the "getting started" page of the
beaglebone site.

but it's way too many steps, and there's way too many "using your
favorite xyz utility"