[time-nuts] inexpensive, black box, GPS or NTP based TTL time capture?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 18 20:27:30 EDT 2017

On 10/18/17 4:17 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> jimlux at earthlink.net said:
>> This is one of the reasons I use beaglebone greens - soldered in eMMC so  no
>> need for SD card ...
>
> The advantage of the SD card is that you can easily start over when your
> "disk" gets trashed.
>
> "Easy" of course is dependent on your opinion and talents.  I think you can
> boot a BeagleBone from SD by holding down a button and put things back
> together from there.  So no wires or extra hardware required, but you have to
> research a new layer of HOWTOs.

precisely so - hold the button and power up.

You can set up so that the contents on the SD just boot, or rewrite the
flash (10-15 mins).
I imagine that there's a way to "constantly" press the button with a
jumper, too.

Building that SD card image is a bit more complex than it needs to be.
You can download the image trivially, but modern consumer OS'es
basically don't make it easy to directly write to a device, and what
you're basically doing is burning a image to the SD card.

OTOH, the instructions ARE on the "getting started" page of the
beaglebone site.
http://beagleboard.org/getting-started

but it's way too many steps, and there's way too many "using your
favorite xyz utility"