[time-nuts] R&S XSRM Rubidium Standard

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 13:03:13 EDT 2017

Thanks for the replies to this, both on and off list.

Repairs to the wiring turned out to be fairly straightforward and all now
seems to be basically functional, but there still remains the problem of the
 lamp.

I am told that the FRK lamp is not a direct replacement, the base is
smaller, but that it might be possible to modify one to fit.
Which leads to another question, does anyone know of a source of spare
working FRK lamps, or even just one?

Nigel, GM8PZR

----------------------
A friend of mine has bought a just out of calibration R  & S XSRM  Rubidium
standard from one of the so called "recyclers" on  Ebay.
Although the price was good, and it came with the off air  receiver,  phase
meter, and frequency divider, it looks to have been heavily
decommissioned with deliberate damage to the internal wiring and the   rubidium lamp
removed.
We've found the relevant manuals online and he's  confident he can  repair
the wiring but he still needs to locate a lamp.
If anyone has a working lamp available, or might know where one  could  be
obtained, please contact me off list.
He did comment that the lamp  assembly looked as though it might accept the
lamp from an Efratom FRK, can  anyone confirm this?
Alternatively, is there likely to be any risk of damage  to the  FRK lamp
or to the XSRM lamp driver if he tries it but it's  not  compatible?
Nigel, GM8PZR