[time-nuts] Beware the Casio WaveCeptor analog watch

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 20:17:33 EST 2018

I had the black plastic digital LCD (no hands) waveceptor for 5+ years and
my only complaint about it was the short life of the Casio watch bands and
replacements which rarely lasted longer than a year.

3 years ago I upgraded to a Solar-powered Waveceptor WVA-640 with a metal
band and am very happy with it. It syncs to WWVB every morning 1-3AM all
the way out here on East Coast, and I have never observed it being off by a
fraction of a second during the day.

I have had other (Seiko) watch-hand watches that I had to do the
jiggling-the-hand-stepper-motor-to-be-in-sync thing - but only after
exposure to very close AC magnetic fields. Being within a few feet of large
multi-thousand-amp transformer windings, or just inches of a magnetic tape
degausser, can drive any analog hand watch bonkers, not just the stepper
motor ones. Skip, is it possible that your hand alignment problems are
because you were working near large AC or pulsing DC currents?

Tim N3QE