[time-nuts] Recommendations for Mains Power Monitor / Logger

Jeremy Nichols jn6wfo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 18:56:52 EST 2018

 One possibility is to get an FNET/GridEye unit of the University of
Tennessee's monitoring stations.

Operated by the Power Information Technology Laboratory
<http://powerit.utk.edu> at the University of Tennessee <http://www.utk.edu>,
FNET/GridEye is a low-cost, quickly deployable GPS-synchronized wide-area
frequency measurement network. High dynamic accuracy Frequency Disturbance
Recorders (FDRs) are used to measure the frequency, phase angle, and
voltage of the power system at ordinary 120 V outlets. The measurement data
are continuously transmitted via the Internet to the FNET/GridEye servers
hosted at the University of Tennessee and Virginia Tech <http://www.vt.edu>.

I have Unit 853 of the Western Interconnection in the tabular display in
their web site (http://fnetpublic.utk.edu/tabledisplay.html). The unit,
about the size of a book, connects to the Internet via a cable to my router
and has a power line connection and a small GPS antenna. The LCD display
shows voltage and frequency; unfortunately there's no way to record this
information on site (at home or wherever).

Jeremy
N6WFO