[time-nuts] Need a Watch Recommendation

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 19:53:22 EDT 2018

On 5 March 2018 at 16:50, William H. Fite <omniryx at gmail.com> wrote:

> And that is just my point--well, part of it, anyway--ultra-precise
> measurement of time is profoundly important, and rightly the primary focus
> of this group. But for the wrist, very, very few of us need pin-point
> accuracy--though many seem to perceive that we do. My Tissot mechanical
> chronograph is right now doing a fantastic job of timing the eggs I'm
> boiling for my lunch.

What is the most demanding task one would use a wrist watch for? The doors
on trains in the UK lock up to 30 s before the train is due to leave. It is
most frustrating to arrive at a platform, with the train stationary, but no
way to get in. I would estimate that about 20 seconds is good enough for
making a decision about just how fast one has to run for a train.

Buying tickets for events like Wimbledon tennis in the UK can demand one
attempts at the right time, as tickets become available and sold out very
quickly. But one would be using a computer to purchase them, so I don't
think that comes under the requirements of a wrist watch.

Dave