[time-nuts] Question about frequency counter testing

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon May 14 09:13:28 EDT 2018

Hi

> On May 14, 2018, at 5:25 AM, Oleg Skydan <olegskydan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob!
>
> From: "Bob kb8tq" <kb8tq at n1k.org>
>>> I think it will be more than enough for my needs, at least now.

>>> Yes. It is approx. 400MHz.
>>
>> I think I would spend more time working out what happens at “about 400  MHz” X N or
>> “about 400 MHz / M” …….
>
> If such conditions detected, I avoid problem by changing the counter clock. But it does not solve the effects at "about OCXO" * N or "about OCXO" / M. It is related to HW and I can probably control it only partially. I will try to improve clock and reference isolation in the "normal" HW and of cause I will thoroughly test such frequencies when that HW will be ready.

It’s a very common problem in this sort of counter. The “experts” have a lot of trouble with it
on their designs. One answer with simple enough hardware could be to run *two* clocks
all the time. Digitize them both and process the results from both. …. just a thought …. You
still have the issue of a frequency that is a multiple (or sub multiple) of both clocks. With
some care in clock selection you could make that a pretty rare occurrence ( thus making
it easy to identify in firmware ….).

Bob