[volt-nuts] Which meter?

Greg Burnett gbusg at comcast.net
Sat Nov 14 17:52:11 UTC 2009

Hi Bram,
If you want to make high-speed measurements, the Agilent 3458A is the clear
choice (because it can take up to 100,000 readings per second). The same
reasoning would apply if you need to use your DVM to make precision
digitization of waveforms. (For example the 3458A's triggered, digitized
measurements can be used to evaluate the linearity of a triangle waveform.)

For basic DC linearity (e.g., from full-scale to tenth scale or lower), the
3458A is as good as it gets, as far as I know.

Having said that, there might be a particular application where the Fluke
8508A would be your best fit? But I'm not sure about that. Do you have
specific measurement applications in mind?

I've personally always been extremely impressed with the 3458A performance,
so unless I had a specific measurement application (that I'd researched and
found that was addressed better by the 8508A), I'd buy the 3458A.

Best,
Greg