[volt-nuts] Homebrew LTZ1000 reference?

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Nov 19 00:14:31 UTC 2009

Anyone interested in working toward a reasonable cost, homebrew LTZ1000
based reference?

Since the 1000 can be had for <$50, and seem to be the best available
(other than JJ), this might be an interesting project.

The 1000 itself has great specs, most of the variability seems to come
from the circuitry around it. One could go out and buy $100 zero-tempco
resistor arrays, etc., but a more reasonably priced reference might be
built by ovenizing things. But there may be better ideas.

The Chinese thread I pointed toward a couple of weeks ago seemed to be
headed in this direction. Group buys/shared development/shared PCB
costs, etc. There could even be an opportunity to do a group
calibration of the end result.

I know there are folks here brighter than me in this matter, but I'm
willing to contribute what I can.