[volt-nuts] First post

Dick Moore richiem at hughes.net
Thu Jan 21 22:57:07 UTC 2010

Hi Bill -- The HP3458A has an AC measurement mode that for frequencies of 50kHz or less does an A-D conversion of sample points then calculates the RMS value, instead of the usual mode of rectifying the signal and the calulating the RMS. The outstanding linearity of the A-D in the 3458 means that it is very accurate, with much lower uncertainty than the 510s, and the cal data for the 3458, which is fairly recent tends to support this. So, I'm using it to look at the 510s outputs. I'm also a bit mystified why setting the 510s internal reference to the recommended 14.142136 VDC doesn't actually result in a 10VAC output; The peak detector-comparator circuit seems to have pretty good performance. I've tried varying the internal adjustments of the 510 one at a time to gauge effects on output level, and the only one that really seems to matter is the reference level setting. Any light youc an shed would be welcome.

Ulrich, thanks for the kind offer. I hope to get into GPIB in the late spring or early summer.

Best,
Dick Moore