[volt-nuts] Keithley 2001 Multimeter Fault - Update

Alan Scrimgeour scrimgap at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 11:47:09 UTC 2010

I think you're right, but the capacitors in question don't connect to the 5V
regulator (well, maybee one) so things are more complicated. By proximity
they appear mostly to be connected to bridge rectifiers. I guess an
oscillating regulator could put a high ripple current through a capacitor on
its input too.
. I've tested the overheating electrolytics and they all seem ok (ignoring
unknown ESR), but under a couple there's corrosion. There's also possibly
some heat damage to the pcb at one point that needs a much closer look. I
hope it's just more corrosion.
Unfortunately my scopes dead, which I'll have to sort that out, but for now
my meters ac range and frequency measurement mode should tell me what I need
to know.

Alan