[volt-nuts] Keithley 2001 Multimeter Fault - Update

Randall White randall.m.white at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:55:29 UTC 2010

Alan,

I had a similar situation with a power supply from an HP scope. In my
case, some of the electrolytics were overheating to the extent that
electrolyte had leaked out onto the PCB and was sizzling. I removed all
of the questionable caps, and since I do not own an ESR meter, I tested
the leakage current of each cap at the rated voltage. There were 2-3
caps with significantly worse leakage than the others, and I replaced
those. But first (and more importantly), I thoroughly cleaned the area
of the PCB of all electrolyte. The electrolyte on the PCB was conducting
current between two adjacent traces, and the excessive load was pulling
down the supply. The traces were still OK, so no repair was necessary
other than cleaning. After cleaning the board and replacing the bad
caps, the unit worked perfectly.
I don't know if a leakage test is a substitute for a proper ESR test,
but it may be a quick check you can do without special equipment.

-Randall