[volt-nuts] Generating a square waveform 2Gbps

Rob Klein rob.klein at smalldesign.nl
Mon May 3 19:08:34 UTC 2010

   AlBundy schreef:

Hi Rob,

First, soory the delay in the answer. Thank you very much for your help.

   No problem, I know thing can get busy sometimes :-)

I didn't know Volt-Nuts was restricted to low-frequency topics.

   Whoa! I certainly didn't mean to imply that you question was in any way
   off-limits. I merely pointed
   out that when we talk "Volts" on this list, it's most commonly high
   accuracy DC and that Time-Nuts
   would therefore be more likely to get you answers (a few of which might
   even be useful ;-) ), that's all.

My problem is I would prefer the cheapest solution, with integrated circuits;
I can not afford to buy (or to rent) ten commercial laboratory generators.

   Mmh, somehow, I can well understand that ;-)

It would be an interesting solution. The problem is that I can not find LVDS
integrated-circuit drivers in Gbps range.

   Well, black art or no, your question did pique my interest and I had a
   look round. ON semi have 1:10 clock
   distribution circuits that can go up to 3 GHz. They're PECL out, so
   you'd probably need a lever translator,
   like TI's [1]SN65LVDS20. It seems like there is stuff out there,
   question is if you can get it "in here".
   Good luck and best regards,
   Rob.