[volt-nuts] Tek gear

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Nov 19 14:53:23 UTC 2010

The thing is Dick's recollection, although flippant, and fun, isn't
entirely true.  Yes, Tektronix had a ceramics facility that was
under utilized, but they weren't above getting rid of it wholesale.
(Which ultimately they did.)

It required a tremendous amount of retooling to make ceramic CRT's.
Nothing from the facility that made barrier strips could fit the bill.
The hydraulic presses were too small to handle the large jug molds.
The kilns were too small to fire a significant quantity of jugs.
The ball mills were too small to grind up enough ceramic, the building
was too small to handle the new larger machines... need I say more?

The reason ceramic jugs were made is because glass wasn't economically
suited to flat screen CRT's, and complicated storage CRT's.  Oh, and
there was another reason, Corning was too expensive at the level of
quality needed for the flat screen CRT's and complicated storage CRT's.

If you want to see more of the history, check out:

http://www.classictek.org/

The whole ceramic vs glass crt situation is explained in detail...by
the guys who did the work, and made the decisions.

This is my last word on the subject.  This is a little far afield for
volt-nuts.

-Chuck Harris