[volt-nuts] Optimation, Inc. CS-110 Precision Current Source

Bob Smither smither at c-c-i.com
Sat Aug 20 17:47:40 UTC 2011

Fellow Voltage Aficionados,

I found a CS-110 at a local electronics hobby / fun / junk shop and
could not resist it at $20.00  It appears to be in good condition, but
appears to not work.  At least it does not smoke when turned on :-).

Unit is in a nice metal 19" rack enclosure, black front panel with white
lettering.

The markings on the front are:

   CS-110     Precision Current Source
   Optimation, Inc.

The front panel knobs are labeled:

   Current Range (1 - 10 uA; 10 - 100 uA; ...; 100 - 1000 mA;
                  1 - 10 A; 10 - 100 A)
   (8 positions)

   Coarse Mult (0 - .1; .1 - .2; ...; .9 - 1.0; 1.0 - 1.1)
   (11 positions)

   Fine Mult
   (10 turn dial with 000 - 999 readout)

   Output binding posts (2)
   1 uA to 1000 mA

 From looking at the circuitry and the binding posts it is clear that
the unit cannot provide the higher current ranges.  I am guessing that
the Hi Cur Amp output (see following) must hook to a second box of some
kind.

The back panel has two BNC connectors:

   Ref In
   Hi Cur Amp

There is also a fuse and an exposed pot labeled Current Adjust.  A
capped off hole (under the Ref In BNC) says Quad In.

Google has not been very helpful - I found the optimate.com domain,
apparently associated with Optimation, Inc. but the links are dead.

So my questions:

Anyone know anything about the CS-110?

Anyone know where I could find documentation for the CS-110?

Does it have to have a reference input?  What value?  Is it AC or DC (or
maybe either)?

Any other insight would be very appreciated!

Thanks!
--
Bob Smither, PhD                                   Circuit Concepts, Inc.
               The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.