[volt-nuts] Solartron 7081 testing

Михаил timka2k at yandex.ru
Thu Dec 1 17:14:42 UTC 2011

Joe,
Thank you very much for your help!
Testing that I needed is absolutely safe and does not affect the 'fresh'
calibration. The commands list with parenthesis around what you need to enter is:
Step 3:
(OUTPUT,RS232,ON)
(DRIFT,OFF)
(MODE,TEST0)
Step 5:
(DRIFT,NOW)
(MODE,TEST10)
(DRIFT,NOW)
(MODE,TEST0)
(DRIFT,NOW)
(MODE,TESTK)
(DRIFT,NOW)
(MODE,TEST0)
(DRIFT,NOW)

All of these commands discussed in the Operating Manual. (DRIFT,OFF) allows to
temporarily disable periodic ADC drift correction. (MODE,TEST0) disables input
amplifier and shorts ADC. (DRIFT,NOW) runs single drift correction cycle.
(MODE,TEST10) connects input amplifier to internal reference (+ 10 V).
(MODE,TESTK) connects ADC integrator input to Ohms current source, that is
equivalent to about 1.6 V ADC input value.
All of these commands are part of the standart internal Self Test. 7081 input
does not matter because its automatically disconnects during tests procedure.
7081 must be cold, i.e. no 'warm up' before running the tests.

My Solartron 7081 was very ill: no LED signs, no display, no life at all :(
I'm spent amount of time to research Earthy Logic and Processor boards, I/O and
memory map, disassemble some of the early ROM procedures, emulate 7081 firmware
via 6809 CPU emulator, change RAM/ROM chips decoding structure to replace the
old and rare 2564 and 6117 chips and adopt PCB for new 28F010 and 6264 ones. I'm
recompiling all of the 2564 ROM contents (1984 year) to the linear block and add to it
recompiled ROMs content by Dave Partridge (1986 year) and flash its to the one
28F010 EEPROM. Now the DMM came to life again :) and I'm continue to research
the ADC and analog subsistem.
This is the replaced parts, including old and broken boards interconnection
cable, two semi-defective RAM and ROM chips: http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3870/oldromram.jpg
This is the new sub-PCB with two banked ROM 28F010 and address decoders:
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1777/pcb4.jpg

Mickle T. (sorry for my horrible English)