[volt-nuts] 3458A - To Modify or Not To Modify?

Roy Phillips phill.r1 at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 7 11:58:40 UTC 2011

From: "J. L. Trantham" <jltran at att.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:13 PM
To: "'Discussion of precise voltage measurement'" <volt-nuts at febo.com>
Subject: Re: [volt-nuts] 3458A - To Modify or Not To Modify?

> I agree.
>
> However, if I am going 'all in' on damage to the board by placing sockets
> for the EPROM and the DS1220Y, why not go 'all the way' and also do the
> other DALLAS chips?
>
> Interestingly, I got four HM62256LP-10 chips off theBay, inserted them in
> U123-U126, and, miraculously, 'OPT 1,0' appeared.  I noted that the
> sockets
> are plain 'AMP' closed frame sockets with just plain 'tin' (I think?)
> connectors.  I think I will use the same socket, but with Gold Plating,
> for
> the EPROM and the DALLAS chips as opposed to the Mill-Max.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Joe

I have always understood that you should not mix gold and other dissimilar
metals when it comes to electrical connections.  I think the devices
concerned have "tinned" pins. Am I right ?
I am very interested in this matter of the 3458A as I have one which informs
me that one of the DS1230Y has a "failed" battery. So having had some very
helpful advice from Poul-Henning, I currently run my 3458A "24/7" until I
establish what to do, and what the cost will be here in the UK to carry out
the up-grade!!
Roy