[volt-nuts] 3458A - To Modify or Not To Modify?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Mon Nov 7 12:20:26 UTC 2011

Roy,

They are the same sockets that are used for the Opt 001 memory chips except
they have a gold plating at the contact points where the chip plugs in.  I
suspect that they are the same sockets used for the six EPROM variant of the
A5 board.  I have the single EPROM variant.  The data sheet is here:

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1825108-3

I like the idea of trying to make it look like it was original.  The gold
plating is an effort to avoid the '5370B' issue that Didier mentioned.  If I
get 30 years out of it, I'll be more than satisfied.

My only uncertainty is whether or not the 'cal' chip survived the effort.
The other two were full of data when I archived them.  The 'cal' chip was
only sparsely populated and no information that looked useful.  I'll have to
wait on the new sockets to arrive to find out.

Good luck on your effort.

Joe