[volt-nuts] Traveling Standards - pictures + protocol

Bob Smither smither at c-c-i.com
Fri Sep 9 01:17:47 UTC 2011

Thanks for the feedback!

Andreas Jahn wrote:
> Hello Bob,
>
> one thougth of me just seeing the pictures.
> how is the "top" and "bottom" of LM399 stabilized with your tube package.

I had not marked it at the time I took the pictures.  It may be moot
anyway - after all the discussion of freaking out our government
overlords by mailing something that looks like a pipe, I have decided to
repackage it in a more conventional rectangular metal box.  The box has
feet, so 'up' is pretty obvious!

> Even when top and bottom is defined. The tube can be tilted by around 45
> to 90 degrees.

Agreed, but new package will define 'up'.

> Did you check if that has an influence on the output voltage?
> Is the PCB fixed within the tube?

I can't see any in my testing, but remember I only have a 6.5 digit
voltmeter.  I will look for it when I set up a difference arrangement as
has been suggested here.

>> Thanks Fred.  Both references (the LM119AH and the MAX6350) have
>> several hundred hours on them.  I have left them on for all the time
>> since I put together the first bread board.  When I was not working on
>> them, they have been powered.  They will accumulate an additional
>> hundred hours or so before I actually ship them.
>
> At least the plastic case of the MAX6350 will have suffered from
> soldering. (dryed out).
> So it will take at least a week or two until the unit has again stabilized.

They are both on all the time now, and with the further testing I will
be doing they will have some time to settle in again.  I did notice a 16
ppm shift in the MAX6350 a few hours after building the prototype (first
time the unit had been soldered) but I am using an old Fluke 883AB to
monitor the MAX6350 so am not sure how much stock to put in that
reading.  I will post those measurements when I get some time.

Best regards,

Bob Smither