[volt-nuts] Eppley Thermopile

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Thu Sep 22 03:47:11 UTC 2011

> John is correct.  The mount is, indeed, a Spindler & Hoyer Gottingen,
made in Germany.

Note that the in is likely 13.7 mm OD...  not 1/2" as you might expect.
Ealing made compatible stuff.

I also think he is correct about what the 'thing' is.

> Measuring the voltage from the unit with the 7081 with aluminium tape over
> the front, I get pretty close to 0.0 uV.  With the tape removed and the
> lights on in the shop, I get about 2 uV.  With a small, three AAA battery
> powered, LED flashlight illuminating it from close range, I get about 280
> uV.

Be careful. The disk and thermopiles are very delicate. Don't even be
tempted to even blow on them.

> I am not sure what I will ever use it for but it is 'on the shelf'.

They are very useful in an optics lab, and are essentially transfer
standards between optical power and voltage.

-John