[volt-nuts] Solartron 7071 vs 7081

Bill Ezell wje at quackers.net
Tue Apr 3 21:44:10 UTC 2012

They aren't identical. The 7071 is a 7.5 digit meter, the 7081 is 8.5
digits. They have many components in common, though. I believe the
reference Zener in th 81 is selected and aged, there may well be other
differences, most likely selected resistors, etc. I'm also not sure the
71 has the 2nd-order temp compensation for the Zener, but take that with
a grain of salt.

That said, there may well be a jumper, I'll have to take a look at mine
and see if I can identify it. I'd expect it to be on the processor
board. But, even so, enabling 81 won't give you the accuracy of an 81.

Here's a link to a (poorly scanned) spec sheet:

http://www.mbmt.com/data/7071_7081.pdf

--
Bill Ezell