[volt-nuts] Power Designs Precision Power Supplies

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Wed Apr 25 13:21:30 UTC 2012

Thanks a bunch, Alan.  Yes, I got them fairly cheap too, shipping
was >= cost given its weight.  But, its built like a tank and should
outlive me, at the least.  I have the same precision models, the
2020B and 5020, which by spec have few peers even today [ the
equivalent HP then was the 6114A series and for DC output is close to
the 6626A as posted by Poul] and cost << 1/3rd of the HP on eBay [
and easier to service if needed.]

In case others are curious, the load and line regulation is 10ppm for
CC or CV, and ripple is < 100uVpp.  In my tests of as-is units [
without servicing the rotary dials or the pots], these are at least
its specs at maximum output, 20V, 2A or 50V, 1A.

At 10:20 PM 4/23/2012, Alan Hochhalter wrote:
>Marvin,
>
>I got a couple of mine for less than $20 each which was certainly a
>factor, but I think I paid as much or more than the sales price for
>shipping on all of mine.  The 2005A isn't too heavy, but the others
>have some real iron in those transformers!
>
>Some of the things I liked about them were meters on all outputs
>switchable between V and A.  Not volt-nuts accuracy, but it is nice
>to be able to get a good idea what is going on without having to
>hook up a meter.  All of them have current limiting and the triple
>output supplies have over-voltage protection as well.  My TP340s
>have two of the outputs that can be switch-selected to track which I
>thought might be handy for projects that need +/- supplies.
>
>Alan
>
>On 4/23/2012 3:55 AM, Marvin E. Gozum wrote:
>>Hi Alan,
>>
>>Thanks a ton for those insights, what made you decide to get these
>>instead of the known players like HP, Agilent, Kikusui, Kenwood,
>>Sorensen etc.,?

Sincerely,

Marv Gozum
Philadelphia, PA