[volt-nuts] Fluke 335A versus HP340B

Dick richiem5683 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 05:17:53 UTC 2012

Hi David -- I have and like an 887AB -- I took the ruined batteries out, and replaced the mechanical chopper amp with an OPA111 BiFet opamp that was very spendy at the time, but worked really well -- probably an OPA227 would be good these days. The only liability of the 887 and most of the other Fluke Diff meters is that at 100V and 1kV, they do not have very high input impedance, due to voltage dividers which set the input R to 10Mohm. At 10V and 1V, input R is near infinite at null. The Fluke analog meters with near infinite R on all ranges are the 895A (I think one of the best ever) and the 893A (only 5 digits, but very good). Bill is right, the 845AB is the gold standard. I am not familiar with the Keithley.

The 332 and 335 in my experience both suffer from zero instability in the DC output, but they do have the Motorola/Fluke transistor+zener reference in an oven. There is a German website that has a nice replacement circuit for the 332D chopper amp plug-in board that uses an LTC1150 followed by an LT1001 -- this improves both zero point and full range set point stability. The site is Friedrich-MesseTechnik (you may need to register and log in to see the diagram)  --

http://www.friedrich-messtechnik.de/cms/

Best,
Dick Moore