[volt-nuts] volt-nuts Digest, Vol 33, Issue 6

Demian Martin demianm_1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 15:41:23 UTC 2012

AC Volt-nuttery has its limits and challenges. I now have 3 Fluke 540B's,
6-8 Thermal converters, an assortment of AC meters culminating in a Fluke
8506A as well as an Optimation AC calibrator, a Tek 191 scope calibrator and
other AC sources for calibration. Even after getting the 8506A calibrated
I'm not sure what I can trust. It's much easier to get resolution than
accuracy for AC. Even NIST has really clear limits on what they can have
confidence with.  On the Ratiotran's there are frequency limits. But you can
search and maybe find a HF ratiotran (I found one). There is an obscure
capacitance meter that uses a ratiotran to get PPM accuracy on cap values.

Fortunately for us these old instruments are relatively cheap given that
they still are the state of the art.

Unfortunately in this category moving the excess on (I do not need 3 540B's)
is very difficult. I have even looked for a local museum to donate my older
stuff (measurement standards back to the 50's) and found no takers.
     Demian