[volt-nuts] Solartron 7061 roms and cal key

Fabio Eboli fabioeb at quipo.it
Wed May 16 19:57:03 UTC 2012

Hello Fred,

> Great Job Fabio. Hope I never need ( no idea how to "burn or flash"
> Roms) them but it is good to know they are available if I get in

I'm not guru for digital either, once the file is out,
programming it is only a matter of having the programmer
and the roms. Extracting the file can be more problematic.
I had problems with the 2764 memories of the 7061,
probably because my programmer is too cheap, but I resolved
reading the memories at higher voltage of 5.4V instead of 5.0V
These were not tested in the instrument.

I tested the 27256 memories programming two new memories and
starting the instrument with these. The instrument started
and worked correctly but there is a small possibility of
residual errors in the files.

> that was the end for me. A pity, it was rather styled ugly, big, but
> i loved it and it had great RMS capability. At 1MHz with unbelivable
> crestfactors it still gave the right value.

I like old flukes, I've got an 8520A, not very high specs, but
I like watching it working, recently it entered in a sequence of
failures that I stopped repairing it, I dont like the fact that
contains too many selected parts.

> Do you have a copy of that layout for me ? I now use a key that ,
> with some fiddling, more or less works, so with that copy I can
> maybe make it better.

Here is a copy of the file that J.L.Trantham sent to me:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14336723@N08/7211209528/
This should open the image:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14336723@N08/7211209528/sizes/l/in/photostream/
There are the quotes I added to make the key, are
a little messed up. Seem that there are 4 "cylinders".
Measuring the key I've built, the distance of the four
levels from the straight side of the key, starting from
the tip are:
about 5mm
about 4.4mm
about 5mm
about about 5.3mm
The key isn't too selective.
The blank should be an HV61 but I didnt use a preformed blank.
If you want I can send you the original scan made by Trantham.

Fabio.