[volt-nuts] HP 3457A calibration?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 11:43:43 EDT 2013

On 20 August 2013 14:51, J. L. Trantham <jltran at att.net> wrote:
> If the battery is 'OK', I would favor just sending it to Agilent for
> calibration, unless you can 'SAFELY' change the battery while preserving the
> cal data.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Joe

If one accepts there is some risk changing the battery while
preserving the data, one has two choices.

1) Do as you say and leave the battery, preserving the cal data. This
however risk the battery leaking at some time.
2) Change the battery, losing the cal data, but virtually eliminating
the risk of leakage.

To me at least, the path of least risk is the one to take.

I suspect if one put a power supply in parallel with the battery with
a 10 k resistor in series, then the 10 k resistor would not drop
enough voltage to lose the ram data, but if it was accidently shorted
the current would be limited to a few hundred microamps. That's
unlikely to do any damage

I guess for a volt nut, preserving the cal data is more important than
it is to me. Not damaging the meter is higher on my priority list.

Dave