[volt-nuts] current-nut question .. total waste of ones time type question

bownes bownes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:00:38 EDT 2014

There was a Circuit Cellar article on this many moons ago.

Basically, it was:

Take a torroid ferrite core, wrap ~20 turns of #20 through it, pass the wire you want to sense current in through the core, and hook the output of the coil to an op amp. Look at output of op amp with a/d converter. Do some math. :)

I have a few on individual circuits in my electrical panel (sump pump, furnace, etc). I dipped the coil assembly in plasti-dip to insulate them. Have not looked at it in a long while though. The control processor croaked and I've never bothered to fix it.

Bob