[volt-nuts] Building a box to measure DC resistance of multiple RF loads.

Stephen Grady grady.steve at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 05:00:25 EDT 2014

David,

In order to measure DC resistance of an RF load to an accuracy lower than
the accuracy of  a network analyser (say a reflection coefficient of 0.0001)
this equates to a DC resistance accuracy of 0.02% or 200 ppm and this is
well within the capability of most 6.5 DMM's in 4-wire measurement mode.

When I worked in precision RF Metrology we measured our loads to 1 mOhm
pushing it into the uOhm range has no advantage as the uncertainty due to
the mating connector centre pin is in the order of a couple to mOhms anyway.
When you measure the DC resistance insure that the meter has Offset
Compensation and Auto Zero ON. Allow the load the thermally stabilise after
handling. Also if your meter has a low voltage setting (or low power ohms
such as an Agilent 34420A or Fluke 8508A) try this setting and see if the
resistance changes as the test current of the meter may affect the
resistance of the load.

Your idea of the test box is a good one but I would suggest soldering (or
connecting) the sense terminal as close as possible to the back of the
mating connector, to reduce the connection uncertainty.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Steve Grady
Sydney Australia