[volt-nuts] Building a box to measure DC resistance of multiple RF loads.

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Aug 18 16:37:46 EDT 2014

Hi David:

I would think to get the most accurate result you should use Kelvin connections where the V & I leads for each terminal
contacted the load under test.
So, rather than using a mating connector you would use something like pogo probes where two probes would contact the
ground and two would contact the center terminal.  For a nominal 50 Ohm value Dc measurements will be OK, but I found
for measuring very low resistance values AC must be used.

I've measured the real and imaginary components of various things with the HP 4395A 0 to 500 MHz combo box which is
essentially a measurement near DC.
Here's a page showing the the Zo of a transmission line is not constant across all frequencies.  Scroll down for some
plots showing what amounts to the DC resistance.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Zo.shtml

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com