[volt-nuts] What made a HP3458A so expensive

Bill Gold wpgold3637 at att.net
Sat Jan 18 16:49:13 EST 2014

There is one other issue with the stability of the LTZ1000A besides aging.
In leaving it unpowered for a long period of time the junctions are not
biased and if there is any contamination present from the fabrication of the
wafers, the free contamination ions can migrate back to the junctions and
change the parameters for a time after being powered up again until the
biasing causes the free ions to move away from the junctions again.  I am no
semiconductor fab engineer but I have observed this when testing
semiconductors.  The breakdown voltage can change, being lower after a long
shutdown period and then be higher after it has been under power for some
period of time.  One would hope that LT would be very careful on their
products, but I have seen that when wafer fab is moved to China the product
degrades because of the dirty environment that exists there, even though
measures are taken to avoid this.  When fab occurs in the USA there is a
much better chance that the whole fab process will be much much cleaner.

I do know a lot about final testing.  I have seen this happen again and
again where the product is tested in the Far East and passes, but when it
comes back to the USA for QA sampling it fails simply due to this problem.
A lot of times the product is simply shipped to distributors for sale and
when the final customer gets it and tests it for incoming QC the whole lot
is returned to the manufacturer as defective.  Of course the manufacturer
blames the test equipment maker but in most cases I had found that the
product had indeed changed over a period of time and did not meet specs.
When left under power for a while it would return to it's original specs.
Bill