[volt-nuts] What made a HP3458A so expensive

Bill Gold wpgold3637 at att.net
Sun Jan 19 16:27:20 EST 2014

Joe:

    I would guess that a local JJ would have to be compared with a
"standard" JJ.  Since NIST says "Ours is correct and yours could be a little
more or less than ours, you need to know the difference".  But this all get
into a really "gray" area in the 0.01 ppm region.  So what are you going to
do?  Move your JJ to NIST?  Not practical!  My suggestion about a JJ in a
9.5 digit was just to get a more stable voltage reference.  Of course at the
present time given the fact that the JJ has to be cooled to below 4.2 K
makes this idea more than a little impractical.  Of course you could setup
to reference the voltmeter to a stand alone JJ in your workshop.  See this
website for a turnkey unit you can get.  www.supracon.com    They have two
models, one which uses liquid He and the other has a Cryocooler.  I am sure
that you can talk the little lady into this as a birthday present?
    I am not sure what Fluke does to be "traceable" to NIST but I would
imagine that Fluke regularly sends carefully characterized 734A units to
NIST in a round robin so that they can accomplish this.  There is an
application note somewhere that talks about this.
    Same with the Hz, the ohm and so on, you have to somehow reference it to
NIST, to claim you are "traceable to NIST".

Bill