[volt-nuts] What made a HP3458A so expensive

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 18 22:20:36 EST 2014

A Josephson Junction is not a Cesium Standard. It is not quite to the Plug and Play level. And takes a few racks worth of space.
Operation and Maintenance is more difficult then most calibrations. But big advances are being made.
At some point in the not to distant future I foresee JJ arrays being configured as not just a references,
but full function calibrators with direct quantum synthesis of any DC, AC, Ohms, and Current. Sam Benz
has lead much of this research. http://www.nist.gov/pml/div686/devices/voltage.cfm
I am amazed that greater advances have not been made in zeners references or more specifically their packaging

Thomas Knox