[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A: Return it or keep it?

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 8 17:11:00 EST 2014

I concur with Tom. Any attempt to convert to Lithium based batteries will almost certainly render the 732A unshippable, legally at least. There are many national and international regulations and guidelines on the shipping (and carrying on aircraft) of Lithium batteries. Some are freely available, some have to be paid for. A basic premise is that if the cells are built into the equipment or a battery it has to be independently tested before you can ship it. If they are removable cells then you just have to use tested cells (recognised quality manufacturers are generally OK) but there is a limit to the lithium content. I've looked at this as part of my work and it's a nightmare. While checking suitablility for a non-standard application I discovered that a product (with many regulatory and test requirements apart from the battery) from a highly reputable manufacturer had been mistakenly declared as OK to ship. They have now updated their advice. Many
 shipping services have just put a blanket on them. This is not just unwarranted regulation, there have been several incidents over the years of fires caused by Lithium based batteries. I've personally seen two incidents with primary cells. One was a box of 1/2AA memory back-up cells exploding like firecrackers with hot cells flying several feet!
A stack of Alkaline D cells (14AH) might be an option. you could include a fresh set of cells for the return trip.
Robert G8RPI