[volt-nuts] Solartron 7081 With Bad WR057 Diode

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Oct 31 07:30:10 EDT 2014

I bought from Little Diode around 10 years ago, a variety of RF
transistors similar to and including 2N3866 with the specific intention of  comparing
them for suitability in LF/HF active antennas.
However all the devices they supplied looked to have been rebranded from
the same generic stock, I'd had some experience of this in the past but it
still  took a LOT of effort before I finally got past the evasive responses
and  they admitted this was true, which of course made any comparison pretty
pointless.

They didn't refer to them as "generic", can't remember what expression they
 did use now in their initial responses but remember it wasn't something
I'd come across before, but there were certainly no indications at the  point
of sale that these weren't original manufacturer's branded stock.

Such rebranding and subterfuge was common amongst some at least of the
aftermarket electronic valve suppliers in the late 1960s, a bog standard device
 going in one door could come out another as the ruggedised version,  for
example, and much more expensive, and it would seem similar  practices lived
on.

I wouldn't touch them again with the proverbial barge pole, although I have
 to accept others may have had better experience.

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR