[volt-nuts] HP 3456A AC cal

Richard Moore richiem5683 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 19:30:26 EDT 2014

I'm trying to get my head around the AC cal procedure for the HP 3456A
-- there is no full-scale cal, just some extremely finicky tweaks for
the bottom ends of three of the four ranges. I really don't understand
how this is supposed to work, especially since it is very accurate on
all DC ranges (up to 500V -- above that some heating of the divider R
seems to occur and it loses accuracy as the voltage increases). But on
AC, the tweaks don't result in anything like an accurate level reading
compare to my 3458A -- at 10VAC it is off by hundreds of ppm. Anybody
shed any light on this? Is there a way to get full scale cal points in
AC mode? Any mods to fix this -- lovely meter otherwise; I much prefer
it to the 34401A I used to have, except for the overall bigness....