[volt-nuts] Building a high resolution DAC

John Phillips john.phillips0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 12:24:52 EDT 2015

I would think the noise numbers would kill most of the bits past 24. DAC
noise is bad enough but do you have a 32 bit reference. To be real the
reference voltage into the DAC need stable to 1 part in 4,.294,967,296 or
just 0.004 ppm
How can you use bits 25 to 32?

Just something to consider in your design.
If you are using this as an attenuator then what is the noise level in the
input signal.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 17:04:25 +0200
> Andreas Jahn <Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > see my comments on the cirquit [1] here:
> > https://www.febo.com/pipermail/volt-nuts/2010-October/000537.html
> >
> > So it will get very hard to go below 1ppm linearity. (without a
> > exact/calibrated feedback loop).
> > Since the formula in the article is wrong you will need some overlapping
> > bits anyway.
>
> Yes, when i tried to understand the circuit, more and more question
> marks popped up, until I decided to use a different approach that
> does not involve black magic and misleading descriptions.
>
> I am kind of surprised that the charge injection of the MAX4053
> does not kill a lot of the performance. At least i don't see any
> way how it would cancel somewhere.
>

>                         Attila Kinali
>

> --
> It is upon moral qualities that a society is ultimately founded. All
> the prosperity and technological sophistication in the world is of no
> use without that foundation.
>                  -- Miss Matheson, The Diamond Age, Neil Stephenson

*John Phillips*