[volt-nuts] Oven thermal insulation

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Tue Jul 7 17:25:45 EDT 2015

I bought a couple of the sample sheets of Spaceloft Areogel (Ebay #
171328843398) a couple monthas ago.  Cheap enough at $7.99 for a 10x14 piece
with free shipping. It's 5mm thick, and easily cut with scissors.
The datasheet that was supplied with the samples say that its max
temperature is 200°C, so will surely work in a 45°C oven.   R-Value is
advertised to be 10.3 per inch.
I bought it in anticipation of building an oven for a voltage reference, as
you are.  I'm still considering the size & shape of the box for the oven.
Other irons in the fire presently, so not on my front burner.

It certainly is a better insulator than fiberglass or Great Stuff foam.  I
find it rather suspicious that the R-value of Great Stuff doesn't appear in
any of the ads, brochures or data sheets.  I think its value is more in
favor of its use as a sealant trather than as insulation.

Cheers,
Dave M