[volt-nuts] Keithley triax cables, 6011 and 1506/1507

Russ Ramirez russ.ramirez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 11:38:40 EST 2015

Andrea, I can comment on the Triax cabling in that the Pomona and others
you see on ebay are not compatible for the Keithley units generally. I have
a 617 electrometer that I acquired from the designer of it, and he told me
that Keithley Sr made sure the triax design was unique; a Keithley designed
3-lug Triax BNC design. Then as you already are aware, there is the
performance of the Keithley cable itself. I also was told to create a
Faraday Shield 'box' with alligator clip leads, attached to the Triax
chassis connector internally with solid wires (just used Cat-5 wire pieces)
so that outside EM would not add to the noise level on low current
measurements. That actually does make a huge difference and allow for
extremely low voltage and current measurements with greater certainty. This
instrument is a real pleasure to work with.

Russ