[volt-nuts] fluke 731b battery pack

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 3 20:31:07 EDT 2016

Most NiMH cells have a capacity of around twice what a NiCad has,  so a NiCad charger that works at a C/10 charge rate will be charging NiMH cells at C/20.   That can be an acceptable trickle rate for NiMH cells, but I prefer something in the C/40 neighborhood.  I put some in an electric shaver (really crude charger) and they last longer than NiCads.

Proper low self discharge NiMh cells have about 1/10th the self-discharge rate of NiCads.   I have some in some test equipment that seldom gets used and after over a year of storage were still going strong and provided hours of run time.   NiCads would be dead after a couple of months of storage.