[volt-nuts] fluke 731b battery pack

Orin Eman orin.eman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:12:15 EDT 2016

The battery in the 731B is charged via a diode and 510 ohm resistor from
the rectified DC, before the smoothing capacitor.  The smoothing capacitor
and power supply is fed by another diode, so the battery is charged with a
pulse waveform.

If you have no battery, then this pulse charge waveform will get around the
power supply regulator (since the regulated supply and battery are diode
switched) and increase noise on the output.  I therefore don't recommend
running without a battery installed... (though you could remove CR5 or or
R30).

Even with the battery installed, if it's good, at full charge, you can
still get charging pulses bypassing the regulator.  I built a high-side
switch to switch between the battery and power supply on my 731B.

I got the local Batteries Plus to build a new battery pack.  They usually
have NiCd cells of the right size and will build a battery pack while you
wait.  With an NiCd pack so easily available, I saw no reason to change
battery type.

Orin.