[volt-nuts] fluke 731b battery pack

Christopher Brown cbrown at woods.net
Thu Aug 18 13:33:02 EDT 2016

If even with a fully charged pack the batt charge side gets high enough
to feed into the ref you need to check the current value of the current
limiting resistor in the charge circuit.

Don't have the exact details in my head at the moment (was about 3 years
ago) but in both of my 731Bs that resistor had dropped in value by more
than a little and was floating the batteries at a higher voltage.  I
replaced with a correct value over-rated metal film type and no more
issue, max floating voltage for ~ C/20 maint to the pack is below cutoff.

If it is climbing high enough compared to the other feed, then resistors
have drifted and the batt circuit is running to hot or the filter AC ->
ref supply is running too low.