[volt-nuts] Fluke 332B

kc9ieq kc9ieq at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 15:36:01 EST 2017

Very interesting, very curious to hear your conclusion!
My thought would be to replace these with standard value 5% resistors having good temp co, as calibration should surely make up for any subpar values--  my thinking is that temp drift would be a more major consideration for overall stability.  If this is a false assumption of would certainly like to learn why.  Perhaps the old Allen Bradley carbon comps were special in this regard, but the data sheet I've seen for currently available comp resistors had a horrible temperature coefficient--  much worse than the "better" film resistors available today.  I stock the Vishay PR02 metal films for rebuilding old tube stuff, which have a temp comp of +/- 250ppm/K.  There are much more stable options out there, but I chose this line because of the 500V rating and dark red/brown color which blends into an old chassis more so than tan or bright blue.
Regards, Chris

Sent from my SMRTphone
-------- Original message --------From: Jerry Hancock <jerry at hanler.com> Date: 2/20/17  2:19 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: kc9ieq <kc9ieq at yahoo.com>, Discussion of precise voltage measurement <volt-nuts at febo.com> Subject: Re: [volt-nuts] Fluke 332B
I have a D model but I would thin Dr. Frank would be able to address the difference D to B.

I recently went thru a Dial a Source DAS-46 finding so many (most) of the carbon comp resistors had changed value +30%.  But, and this is the important ‘But’, the typical 1% metal film resistors don’t have good tempco.  So I wonder if replacing these 40yr old resistors was a good idea.  Yes, they have drifted higher, but since they all drifted up by the same percentage, the circuit still worked.   I bought most of the high value from Mouser using Vishay  as the default unless I couldn’t get them for some reason.  I am running a test of the stability over 36,750 seconds (has to do with 10K samples with the 3457A in NPLC 100 taking about 3.675 seconds per) to see if the stability is better now vs with the carbon comp.  Not that I would swap them back in, just curious.