[volt-nuts] Fluke 332B

Jerry Hancock jerry at hanler.com
Mon Feb 20 15:51:32 EST 2017

I took some of the 100K 1/4 watt resistors from my DAS-46 and heated them with a soldering iron.  They ran high pretty quickly.  I then used a cheap, 1% Chinese brand metal film and they ran high just about as quickly.  The 5% Chinese brand ran low a lot faster.  Just bringing the soldering iron near them  Interesting in that using one of each, the resistance stayed about right on the parallel value.  I then used a high quality Vishay and I couldn’t get it to move with the soldering iron without touching it.  These resistors cost about .40 per at Mouser.   I was just using my Agilent DMM so I’m sure they were moving, just not within the resolution of the meter.  The bottom line is that the carbon comp I replaced with the 50 cent per Vishay was a good move.  Had I used the 5% I have, it would have been about the same.