[volt-nuts] 3457A (6.5 digit multi-meter). Is it best to keep it on?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue May 15 08:47:07 EDT 2018

I have a 3457A which does not get a lot of use, but it has not been
calibrated for years, and I need to get it calibrated as I need to make
some measurements of greater accuracy than usual. The 3457A is scheduled to
go to Keysight a week from today. I'm wondering if its best to keep it
powered up until then, to let the reference stabilize somewhat. Or it is a
bit late for that now?

I have asked Keysight to change the battery - I'm led to believe that
Keysight will do that as part of the calibration unless the battery is
particularly expensive.

When I last looked, I could not find a suitable battery in the UK, and
those in the US could not be shipped here. But that was a few years ago, so
maybe things are different.

Dr David Kirkby Ph.D C.Eng MIET
Kirkby Microwave Ltd
Registered office: Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, CHELMSFORD,
Essex, CM3 6DT, United Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales as company number 08914892
http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Tel 01621-680100 / +44 1621-680100