[time-nuts] GPS receivers W/timing outputs greater than 1PPS

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 22:20:15 EDT 2013

>   I don't  know  why   they   think   there  is  additional  risk with
>   international shipments. Just send it with a signature required, and
>   it has exactly the same risk as any ordinary shipment in the US. But
>   a lot of vendors feel the same way.

First off most Americans don't have passports and have never left the US
and think of the world outside as some land of mystery.  It rely is true,
especially in parts of the US far from either cost.  But when it comes to
shipping and eBay there are some real concerns because of PayPall's
policies.

Then there is a real problem with customs when shipping into some places.
 The package gets delayed.  The customer tells PayPal they never got the
package and PayPall refunds the money.  The shipper is simply "out".
 PayPall ail always do a refund for non-delivery.    Many Chinese eBays
sells have a list of countries they will not sell to because theft by
customs officials is nearly routine.

One thing about that photo of test equipment in a lab.  That EXACT same
photo is used by dozens of eBay sellers.  All of them claim to own this
exact same set of test equipment.   I don't believe even one of them, not
until I see a photo of the stuff in use on a bench testing the gear that is
being offered for sale with a seller's smiling face looking at the camera.
  Otherwise it is just a stock photo that could have been shot in an office
building in Texas 10 years ago.  If it were my stuff you'd see me in the
photo.  Then you look on Facebook and see I'm the same guy.

About your being "out" some money.  Did you ask talk to either eBay or
PayPal about it.  Most items are covered by their buyer protection policy.
  You can make a claim for "not as described" and they will impound the
funds pending resolution.

>   If you are in Canada, you can have them ship to a forwarder who will
>   then ship  it across the border for you. Of course,  they  add their
>   extra charge for the service.
>
>   If you  are  outside the US and would like to  get  a  M12+, fluke.l
>   sells them for $35.00 plus shipping. See
>
>   Motorola ONCORE M12+T timing gps receiver 1pps 100hz
>
>   http://www.ebay.com/itm/290656401551
>
>   I have  dealt with fluke.l for many years. His stuff is of  the very
>   highest quality  and  he checks it  carefully  before  shipment. His
>   prices are a bit higher than some others, but other vendors may ship
>   you worthless junk like tool_nerd.
>
>   fluke.l has  the  lab equipment and experience to  know  what  he is
>   doing and  ships only the highest quality stuff. See  his  web store
>   for example of his lab setup.
>
>   But under no circumstance ever buy anything on eBay from tool_nerd.
>
>   They ship  junk that has been badly abused. They failed  to  warn me
>   that I had to modify a FE-5680A Rubidium oscillator in order  to get
>   access to  the variable frequency output. Not only was this  a large
>   amount of  work  to  drill all the  rivets  out,  it  risked getting
>   shavings inside  the unit when drilling the case for  the  coax. The
>   unit arrived  with deep gouges in the cover, indicating it  had been
>   treated very badly.
>
>   I told them I would not accept such crap, and wanted to send it back
>   for refund.  They said OK, they would refund the entire  amount when
>   it arrived.  I sent it to the exact address they gave  me,  and they
>   refused to acknowledge receipt. In fact, they stopped replying to my
>   emails when  it arrived. So I am out the $83.00 for  the  unit, plus
>   the $20.00 postage. It would have cost far too much to send  it with
>   a signature  required, but they convinced me they  were  very honest
>   and would honor the agreement.
>
>   I should  have never wasted my time and money. Don't  make  the same
>   mistake.
>
>   Regards,
>
>   Mike M

Chris Albertson